Domain Name Transfers
Lunarpages does not only do web hosting, we do domain name registrations too! We can act as your domain name registrar for .com, .net, .org, .name, .us, .ca, .co.uk, .biz, and .info domains. What if you have your domain name registered with another company, and you wish to move it to us instead? That too is a very easy task to accomplish.
Does this mean you are transferring ownership of the domain to Lunarpages? No. You retain the ownership of your domain, and Lunarpages will maintain the registration of it.
How Do I Start the Domain Name Transfer Process?
Transferring a domain to Lunarpages costs $12.95. From there, you will need to pick one of two options:
- 1. Get the First Year of Domain Registration for Free - If you have not used the free one year domain registration that came with your account, you can do so in this situation. A one-time transfer fee of $12.95 still applies even when you are using your one year for free domain name registration. Free domain must be redeemed within 30 days of signup.
- 2. Don't Use Your Free Year of Domain Registration - If you are not using the domain name you transferring (or you no longer have that option available to you) you will be charged $32.90 to cover both the cost of the domain name transfer ($12.95) and the first year's registration ($19.95)
Private Registration: Want to hide your contact information from coming up in the Whois database? Check this article for more information on how to add anonymous registration to your domains.
To start the transfer process we will need:
- Your Primary Domain Name:
- The Domain to Transfer (if different):
- Your Account User Name:
If you have a credit card on record, then you can give us the last 4 digits of that credit card for verification. If not (if you paid by check, PayPal or another alternative method), then please provide:
- Postal Address:
- Phone Number:
- First and Last Digits of Password:
We will also need authorization to charge your payment method of choice. You can submit your request to firstname.lastname@example.org or submit a help desk ticket. If your transfer request is denied, there is no fee charged to you for the transfer attempt. A transfer can take up to a week, and the request can be denied by the current registrar with no reason given.
Double Check These Things Before Making a Transfer Request!
Please note that domains with private registration or domains that are locked can not be transferred. You will need to unlock or remove the private registration before we can transfer. We can not transfer a domain that has been recently (60-90 days, depending on registrar) renewed with another registrar (clientTransferProhibited status in WHOIS), or expired domains. Please be sure to double check these factors before requesting the domain name transfer to start.
How Does the Transfer Process Work?
Please note that a transfer requires the domain name to be active and not expired or locked. After a domain expires, there is a long time line before it is available to repurchase it. Bellow you will find information about how the domain name life cycle (or domain lifecyle) works.
Here is how you can determine the status of the domain:
Domain Registration: Domains can be registered up to 10 years (.co.uk up to 2 years) maximum. When you do a Domain Whois lookup, you will see:
- Status: ACTIVE
- Updated Date: DD-MMM-YYYY (date changes made to record)
- Creation Date: DD-MMM-YYYY (date domain registered)
- Expiration Date: DD-MMM-YYYY (date domain expires)
A domain that can be transferred would show an active status signifying that it is not locked, expired, on hold, in redemption, or pending deletion:
Domain Expiration: When a domain expires, the status would change to the following:
- Status: REGISTRAR-HOLD
- The expiration date will typically be pushed forward a year by the registrar and is not a good indicator that the domain has expired. The better indicator is that the DNS nameservers have suddenly quit functioning for the user, the updated date is close to the current date and the expiration date is one year from the current date. During this time, the user can renew the domain for the same cost as a regular domain renewal, although it can take 48-72 hours for the domain to become active again.
- Domain Grace Period: After expiration, the domain will lapse into a Grace period of about 40 days. The status will continue to say either REGISTRAR-HOLD or GRACE-PERIOD at this time. As during expiration, the user can renew the domain for the same cost as a regular domain renewal, although it can take 48-72 hours for the domain to become active again.
- Domain Redemption: After the Grace Period ends, a domain will go into redemption for 30 days and the status would change to the following:
- Status: REDEMPTION-PERIOD
- The domain name will now cost $90 to renew at this point due to the combination of fees for manual addition to the registry by the registrar and the renewal. It can take several days for the domain to become active again once the fees are paid.
- Domain Deletion: The final step is deletion, which occurs 5 days after the Redemption Period ends. The domain will be removed from the registry entirely and then anyone can register it. It would have a status similar to the following - Status: PENDING-DELETE
To view the status for the Domain Whois, please go to CentralOPS at http://centralops.net/co/ and do the following:
- 1. Click on "Domain Dossier" then enter domain.com replacing that with your domain in the "domain or IP address" field.
- 2. Check the "domain whois record" option and click the "go" button.
- 3. You will get a return such as:
- Domain Name: DOMAIN.COM
- Registrar: MY REGISTRAR, INC.
- Whois Server: whois.thisisanexample.com
- Referral URL: http://example.myregistrar.com
- Name Server: NS2.MYREGISTRARSDNS.COM
- Name Server: NS1.MYREGISTRARSDNS.COM
- Status: REGISTRAR-HOLD (if domain is in expiration/grace period)
- Updated Date: DD-MMM-YYYY
- Creation Date: DD-MMM-YYYY
- Expiration Date: DD-MMM-YYYY
Please note that if you see REGISTRAR-LOCK, this usually means that you have requested for the domain to be locked at the DNS nameservers. A lock prevents a domain from being transferable (as a security precaution to prevent someone from trying a malicious takeover of the domain). You would need to log into your domain administrative area to remove a lock or ask your registrar how to do so. A domain in REGISTRAR-LOCK cannot be transferred as the only status allowing transfer is ACTIVE.
Additionally, please note that the email we send to you when you request the transfer will come from Tucows to the administrative email listed in the Domain Whois. You must have access to that email address for the transfer to proceed. If you do not, you will need to log into your domain admin area and change the email there and then contact us once it updates in the Domain Whois records. Again, please contact your domain registar if you are not sure how to log into your domain admin area to make this change.
Finally, if you have any issues with your registrar, be it not replying to mails, not relinquishing control to you as the owner of the domain, etc., you can register a complaint about the registrar at:
How Can I Transfer My Domain Away From Lunarpages
If you are moving, or wish to register your domain name with another company, there is no problem with that. Your new domain name registar will need to begin the process. You can e-mail email@example.com if you require assistance with unlocking your domain name to get it ready for the transfer to the new domain name registar.
Want to read this in another language?