Problems Pulling Up Web Site
I have noticed that several people in the past have had problems pulling up their web sites, but when support checks things out - everything is fine. If you find yourself in this boat it is important to get support as much information as you can before you go back to them with the problem. The more information the Lunarpages support team has the easier it will be to troubleshoot your issues.
I want you to create an empty text file on your desktop, and call it "support info for lunarpages" or something to that effect. Now each time you notice you are having trouble, but some others are not - write down this information:
Step 1 - Your current IP address. If you are unsure what your current IP address is, you can use a tool such as the one found here:
Step 2 - Do a traceroute to see where exactly the bottle neck might be. Here are the steps you need to go through to do a traceroute for your domain:
- 1. Go to Start > Run...
- 2. Enter cmd and click OK.
- 3. At the prompt, type tracert yourdomainname and hit enter.
- 4. Copy and paste the results into your text file.
- Note: Some people are often confused by how to copy and paste from the cmd prompt (that black window your looking at). The best way to go about this is to right click on the window (anywhere in the black part) and select "Select All". Then to copy, hit the Ctrl + C keys on your keyboard. Then you can right click with your mouse, and select paste to paste it into your text file you are saving this information to.
- 1. Double-click the Hard Drive icon > Applications folder > Utilities folder > Network Utility program.
- 2. Select the traceroute tab and enter the hostname, where hostname can be a domain name, a machine name or an IP address.
- 3. Press Enter then copy and paste the results into your text file.
Step 3 - You may also try to access your web site by proxy if it is not coming up for you. Make sure you relay this information back to support as well. Here are two good resources where you can do that:
Do these two things each time you notice the problem, save it for about 4 or 5 times and then hand that over to support (everything you have saved in that text file). Also be sure to make note of the date and time you are having problems to. Might also toss in your time zone so that we can easily convert the time your having the issues to the west coast Lunarpages time.
Additional Troubleshooting Tips
Is your domain completely propagated? It may take up to 72 hours for this to complete. Propagation is the process of having all the world's servers recognize the changes you made to your domain. For example, when you change your nameservers to Lunarpages so your site can be seen using the Lunarpages' servers, it will take up to 72 hours for all the world's servers to recognize this change.
Did you upload your site to the correct folder? All files need to be uploaded to the public_html folder for Basic, Business, and Starter plans. On Windows, your files need to be uploaded to the httpdocs folder.
Do you have your first page named index.html (.htm, .php, .asp, .jsp...)? Please remember that Linux servers are case sensitive, so be sure to use "index" not "Index".
It may be a precedence issue. If you are seeing our placeholder page, it is because it is named index.html and is being seen and executed before your page named index.somethingelse. Delete or rename our placeholder page. You can also add the DirectoryIndex command to .htaccess to change the execution order for example:
- DirectoryIndex index.htm index.html index.php
For Windows plans, the order can be changed for each domain under Web Directories, Preferences.
If you are using JSP or ASP coding for your index page, you would need to have JSP or ASP support enabled for your domain before they will resolve.
If you are using the Lunarpages temporary url, http://server.lunarpages.com/~username and you have a PHP, JSP, or ASP index page, then your web page will not resolve, as PHP, JSP, and ASP will not work with the temporary URL.
Unsure on how to read a traceroute? This page has a very good explanation on the process:
Also be sure to check out our help age on traceroutes.
Want to read this in another language?