Overutilization of Shared Server Resources
From Lunarpages Web Hosting Wiki
All of our shared resource hosting plans are governed by our Shared Hosting Terms Of Service and Acceptable Use Policies. Shared hosting is an option designed for small business and personal website operation purposes only, and not for unrelated data storage. This is further broken down in each sub- category below. Each of these accounts do not come with a pre-set cap on the amount of resources that are provided, however some limitations do apply.
DOES THIS POLICY PERTAIN TO YOU AND YOUR ACCOUNT?
This policy applies to the following types of accounts:
- Starter Plan
- Basic Plan
- Business Premium
- Business Advantage
- Business Enterprise
- Webmaster Reseller
The files that you store on your account must be directly related to the functionality of the website(s) you are serving. Accounts with a large number of files (in excess of 50,000) can have a negative effect on the server's overall performance.
Example of files that are ok:
- Core files used in content management systems such as Joomla, WordPress, Drupal, etc.
- HTML files that make up each individual webpage
- Media files (pictures, music, video) that are linked/displayed directly on your website
- Software that aids in email functionality/mailing lists such as phpList, Mailchimp, Roundcube, etc.
- Website add-on, themes, or plugin software
- Database management software
- Password Protected Directories (for membership use only)
- Recent email activity
Example of files that are not ok:
- Storage of old error logs/debugging logs
- Expired cache files
- Backups older than 48 hours
- Pre-restore versions of your account
- ISOs of systems
- Copyrighted software of any kind
- Copyrighted music and/or imagery
- File Sharing
- Personal or Business computer backups
- Distribution sites
- Outdated software/CMS no longer in use
- Files uploaded from customers that have no relation to your website
- Sales sheets, internal company literature, supplemental company documents
- Company and/or personal photos, without direct links or visible on a web page
Please use one of the online storage options, below, or a peripheral device for these needs. Files uploaded from customers must be downloaded to your local machine once received.
From time to time, the amount of bandwidth your account consumes may temporarily spike over normal levels. While this is ok, an issue arises when the spike is sustained. There are many reasons for excessive bandwidth use. Many times outdated and/or exploited scripts are to blame. If you run WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, or another content management system for your website, you will need to ensure that all frameworks, plugins, components, and modules are up to date.
Every shared account is allocated 999 email addresses. Regardless of how many you have, please understand that storing volumes of email on your account will have a negative effect on your account and the server. We ask that you periodically download your email and store it locally for quick reference. Please do not store more than 20 GB of email per account. This includes all email addresses combined.
Accounts with an excessive number of MySQL or PostgreSQL tables (in excess of 1,000 database tables) or of database size (in excess of 3GB total MySQL/PostgreSQL usage or 2GB MySQL/PostgreSQL usage in a single database) can negatively affect the performance of the server. If your databases exceed these numbers and are found to be the root cause of any server instability, we may ask you to reduce the number of database tables or total database usage.
UPGRADING TO A SCALABLE CLOUD OR DEDICATED SERVER
In the event your account is suspended due to any breach of this policy, and you are unable or unwilling to make the recommended updates to your account, you may be asked to upgrade to a Scalable Cloud or Dedicated Plan. We will review the resources used on your account, the amount of data stored, databases, and email and will make our best recommendation for you. We do not always suggest the highest price plan. If your account will fit well on one of our Cloud servers, that will be our recommendation.
There are plenty of other options, many of which are free, for you to store your files, media, and other data that does not pertain to your website. We also highly recommend you consider using a Content Delivery Network (CDN) as this will speed up your site.
Version 1.02 - 101816